Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 15, 2008

Side Story: Cinderella 10 Feet Under

I am petrified of going underwater in the ocean. My heart started to race when I went to see Finding Nemo in the theater. It's quite pathetic, I know! However, I got a chance to conquer that fear in St. Thomas.

It's called Ocean Trekking. You wear a 75 pound helmet that does not let any water in due to suction. Don't ask me how this works! I was willing to do it and thankfully the staff was more than willing to help. I was about to enter a whole new world and I didn't even realize it.

Mom and Dad carried me down to the ladder to climb down to the ocean. Dad is standing with me as Mom and David, my brother emerge themselves by climbing down into the ocean. It is my turn. I trusted this staff to get me down to the ocean floor. Getting down was the difficult part but once I had my feet on the ocean floor with fish swimming past me. My father's arms were around me as I floated/walked with the gorgeous fish.

During the trek led by a guide, we got to touch many exotic creatures foreign to our world. I loved their world. It was peaceful and serene. Just swimming and eating, the fish didn't care that I couldn't walk by myself or that I had movement disorders, they just saw me as another human being. It was so cool to be in such a peaceful place for 25 glorious minutes.

Now, most of you know that my left foot is less than cooperative because of the movement disorders and it was no different ten feet underwater. My shoe falls off! Yup, my left foot misbehaves again! However, this time I didn't mind the result. I talked to my mom with my eyes to say hey, my shoe is falling off! I don't know how we can communicate with our eyes but we just do. She motions to the guys that my shoe is falling off. Three handsome men gather around my left foot and it takes about two minutes for the shoe to be put on. I was Cinderella with three Prince Charmings! I liked that!

These guys were so much more than cute Prince Charmings. They were everyday heroes. I did tell them that they were my heroes. The thing is, they could of said no because of multiple reasons but they didn't which makes them extraordinary much like the Camp Courage counselors! I am indebted to them for an experience of a lifetime! I hope fate leads these incredible men to read this blog

To learn more about Ocean Trekking visit: http://www.coralworldvi.com/activities/sea-trek.html

Why is this story in here?

I have decided that while college will bring an extraordinary amount of adventures, I will still have amazing adventures with my family. I won't send an e-mail out with these stories, however, I will notify you in my next posting if I write a side story.

1 comment:

Lauren Endres - MN said...

Hannah,
As always, you have my at the edge of my seat wanting more! This blog is such a brilliant idea; I check it almost daily (don't tell the boss). I can't wait to hear about your first week at Elmhurst!

Thinking of you,

Lauren