Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 21, 2008

Hannah Meets her Hero

Cedric Jennings grew up in a bad neighborhood in Washington. He went to a high need school, lived in multiple bad neighborhoods and went to Brown University. Yes. He overcame countless obstacles. While doing so, he had a author follow him around and write a book about Cedric. We had to read that book for class and it has completely inspired me.


Why am I writing about a book in my blog? Simply because I got to meet Cedric on Wednesday, November 18th. He came to our class and spoke then I had the privilege of eating lunch with him and to top it all off, I went to his lecture. He spoke about overcoming his circumstances and I was so incredibly inspired!


Little Snip Its of the day:


At the lecture, I was sitting next to Desiree, a young woman who works in Student Activities and we decided to ask him about his love life. By now, Cedric and I are buddies. So, I type in "Desiree and I were wondering about your love life". The whole lecture hall starts hysterically laughing. I mean really laughing. He answers laughing, what love life? I am bright red. It was so funny.

When Cedric autographed my book, he wrote, "You are a wonderful young woman destined for greatness". I gave him a huge hug. I could tell we both touched each other which is the goal of life, to touch others lives.


I learned that there are people who want to inspire others. I forget that there are people out there that live to break barriers and diminish stereotypes. It was a wonderful reminder!



So, it is now December! I am looking forward to seeing everyone...


This Friday is our annual Christmas party. I have been looking forward to it all year. It is one of my favorite nights out of the year!


I am simply ecstatic about visiting my high school, I cannot describe my excitement! I truly can't wait.


I get to see my therapists! They were a huge part of my left and I simply can't wait to catch up with these wonderful women


I get to see my beloved neighbors! I can't wait to catch up on "Mommy Talk". There isn't "Mommy Talk" at college.


And, I get to see my family. Not only Mom, Dad, David and Genevieve but my cousins, uncles and my Nana! So excited!


I truly could not be more excited about seeing everybody. That will truly be the best Christmas present!


Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,

Hannah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah, you are such an amazing person. You should seriously consider following Cedric’s path. : ) I think it is incredible that you got to meet him. I can’t wait to read the book too now.

Charlotte

Unknown said...

wow Hannah you are such a great writer! I am sad that we aren't closer..what are you going to school for? I hope to see you this summer at the cottage and hope you can be there for Joey's birthday and me and Johns wedding celebration!! Merry Christmas!

Lauren Diane said...

Hannah,

What a fabulous lecture to be a part of! I agree that you should follow in his footsteps & do inspirational speaking at some point in your life. Think of all the people you inspire, make laugh & have "waiting on the edge of their seats" through this blog... Have a Merry Christmas and I will see you in Spring Green for New Years! Yippee